PENTATHLON EPISODE 7
QM- Souvik Basu (TEAM QUIZZARDS)
QM- Souvik Basu (TEAM QUIZZARDS)
This is the seventh among the series of quizzes we have planned as part of the celebration of 5 years of the Quizzards_2k4 yahoo group.This is a General Quiz
1. XY.com is a website devoted to reviews, information, and news of movies. The name derives from the historical cliché of throwing Y and other produce at stage performers if a performance was particularly bad. Its owned by Newscorp. Which site?
2. X was an overnight success from the debut of her act at the Musée Guimet on 13 March 1905. Following that success, she became the long-time mistress of the millionaire Lyon industrialist Emile Etienne Guimet who founded the Musée. She posed as a Java princess of priestly Hindu birth, pretending to have been immersed in the art of sacred Indian dance since childhood. She brought this carefree provocative style to the stage in her act, which garnered wide acclaim. The most celebrated segment of her act was her progressive shedding of clothing until she wore just a jeweled bra and some ornaments upon her arms and head. X?
Ans. Mata Hari
3. The _____ had its origins in the real-life case of the death of a boy, Dennis O'Neill, who died whilst in the foster care of a Shropshire farmer and his wife in 1945. In Shakespeare's play Hamlet, "The ______" is Hamlet's answer to Claudius's inquiry about the name of the play whose prologue and first scene the court has just observed (III, ii). The play is actually The Murder of Gonzago, but Hamlet answers metaphorically, since "the play's the thing" in which he intends to "catch the conscience of the king." Fil in the blank.
4. Identify this 2 sportsmen who formed a great friendship in the Olympics.
Ans. Carl Lutzlong and Jesse Owens
5. An avid cricket fan, he is reported to have said, "One of my main obsessions in life is the game of cricket—I play and watch and read about it all the time". Being Chairman of the Gaieties Cricket Club and a lifetime supporter of the Yorkshire Cricket Club, He devoted a section of his official website to Cricket. He also acted in theatres under the name David Baron. Who is he?
6. The prizes were presented originally at a ceremony in a lecture hall at MIT but now in Harvard University's Sanders Theater. The ceremony is co-sponsored by the Harvard Computer Society, the Harvard-Radcliffe Science Fiction Association and the Harvard-Radcliffe Society of Physics Students.Throwing paper airplanes onto the stage was a long-standing tradition at the ceremony, changed at the 2006 ceremony because of "security concerns."
The ceremony is recorded and broadcast on National Public Radio and is shown live over the Internet. The recording is broadcast every year, on the Friday after U.S. Thanksgiving, on the public radio program Science Friday.Which prizes?
Ans.Ig Nobel Prize
7. St. Petersburg rightfully bears the name of the city of museums. There are museums devoted to dolls, railway transportation, banking, political police, even gramophones and phonographs. Hence it was only right that the ___ Museum would be set up here. However, the museum was shifted to Moscow. This transfer from St. Petersburg to Moscow was not by chance. In fact, it is quite symbolic that the museum is now situated in Moscow, which is the historical place this famous product originates from. XVth century is considered the starting point of its history. The museum appeared within the precincts of the Kremlin in Izmailovo, a unique historical and architectural complex, for pleasure of tourists and guests of Moscow. Fill in the blank.
8. No.10: Jennifer Granholm, governor of Michigan. (written)
No.9: Samantha Power, Irish American journalist, author and academic
No.7: M.I.A., stage name of Mathangi 'Maya' Arulpragasam, British song writer and artist of Tamil descent
No.6: Meredith Vieira, American journalist and TV celebrity
No.5: Lisa Ling, American TV journalist
No.4: Katie Couric, American TV journalist
No.3: Sarah Silverman, American singer, actor, comedian, writer
No.2: Tina Fey, American TV actor, producer
No.1: Y and Zadie Smith (Honorable Mention)
X & Y please.
Ans.X-Jhumpa Lahiri, Y- Ana Ivanovic.
This is the list of Thinking Man's Sex Symbols compiled by Daily Beast.
9. In terms of Google searches in India in 2008, Katrina Kaif has been placed the first among all actresses.Which actress was ranked second among the actresses in terms of the number of searches on Google?
10. Identify this person with Sourav Ganguly.